Friday, July 1, 2011

Skincare: Then vs. Now

The amount of effort being put into my current skincare regimen (as well as makeup) has exponentially increased in the last month. Benefits include: 

-reduced undereye circles
-diminished pore size
-no more tight/itchy/dry feeling to my skin
-my skin is so effing soft!

And, maybe I'm deluding myself, but I swear there is almost a glowing effect. So, the question begs: what has changed?


Then

Previously my regimen consisted of:

-Occasionally washing off makeup. Really. Erm. I realize it is a cardinal sin, but I had serious issues with remembering to take my makeup off nightly.
-Spritzing with LUSH Eau Roma Water Toner every other day or so in the mornings. I've been using this toner since I was 19. It is one of the few beauty products I buy religiously.
-Whatever moisturizer was laying around. Whether that was a sample through Sephora or stolen off my boyfriend's stash.

Now

Daily:
-I can proudly state that I not only wash my makeup off every evening, but also rinse my face in the morning. Target's up&up Makeup Remover Towelettes have proven indispensable. I really need to look into a facial cleanser though.
-Aforementioned Eau Roma Water Toner.
-Murad Essential-C Eye Cream SPF 15 has definitely made an impact on my under eye circles. No effect on the fine lines, but good for pigmentation. I received it as a sample at some point through Sephora.
-Juice Beauty Oil-Free Moisturizer. This stuff is a godsend. I love the scent as well as the excellent hydrating on my parched skin. It was a steal of a deluxe sample through Sephora.
-My FREE Jergens Natural Glow Facial Moisturizer. There was a noticeable color enhancement/glow after about three days of usage. I'm contemplating toning down to every other day usage as the body version doesn't seem to keep up with its facial counterpart. The image of my face a different color  than my body is hilarious.
-I'm finally using lotion daily thanks to the Jergens Firming Natural Glow. Firming or not, I'm just happy I found a product that gets me to use it on a consistent basis.
-WATER! There's been conscious action on my part to drink at least a couple glasses of water a day.

Weekly:
-I start off my weekly facial by filling up the sink with steaming hot water, dropping a LUSH Vitamin C Toner Tab in, and draping a towel over the back of my head while I let the pores open up. The website advises lifting your head up once the tab has stopped fizzing. I wait a couple minutes longer than that.
-Thanks to Sephora for once again another amazing full-sized sample (32 dollar value)! Ole Henriksen Blue/Blackberry Enzyme Mask is nothing short of amazing. The clear gel glides on and has a cooling effect. Perfect for summer! I should mention that it has a slightly drying effect; it is formulated for oily skin types. Still a favorite of mine even in spite of dry skin.
-For both exfoliating and moisturizing value, LUSH Oatifix Fresh Mask cannot be beat. I've noticed that despite the advisory to use within two weeks, I have been using the same jar for a couple months. Save up six of the pots and get a mask for free! On an amusing side note, it tastes lovely if you somehow get some on your lips. Like oatmeal cookie dough. :-)
-If I feel some extra exfoliating is in need, as horrible for my skin as I know it is, I turn to St. Ives Apricot Scrub. I really need to find an alternative that is as grainy in texture without having materials that can actually cause microabrasions.


Between the daily regimen and weekly facials, my typically dry and dull skin is looking better than ever.

Next up: finding an overnight eye serum!


Disclaimer: All products were either purchased or received as samples with purchases. None of the links provide any compensation or affiliate bonuses for myself. The links are purely for information purposes.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! I found your blog via the comment you left on mine. I love budgeting posts as well and just had to drop by to check your blog out and to thank you for the time spent commenting on and browsing mine.

    Thank you!

    Also, I just wanted to say that you are a very articulate writer. It's not often I find bloggers that write so well that posts are easy to read through. New follower here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I've noticed that since starting up my blog and becoming more beauty conscious, my skin has also improved because of my new skin regimen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 'articulate' nature failed me when I read your comments. In fact, I squealed. :-

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete