Friday, June 24, 2011

Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment

I have uber-long hair at this point. We're talking nearly waist length and starting to get into that weird territory where you look like you may be possibly Pentecostal or Seventh Day Adventist (although, my lack of skirts should dismiss that theory). Next week, I have an appointment to get my hair cut and color. In the meantime, I do what I can to keep good care of my Rapunzel-status hair.

The Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment is part of an extensive line of hair products featuring ojon oil. Ojon oil comes from the nut of the American palm tree and is sourced primarily in Central America. Interestingly, ojon oil has always been known as batana oil, but was renamed in the late 90's when it was introduced as a commercial product. Ojon is the word for American palm in the local indigenous dialect (batana being the Spanish word). I'm tickled by the idea of returning to the original word for an item.

The creamy pomade turns to oil instaneously via body heat.

While I like what I have researched about the Ojon company, this isn't a product for a fine-haired person (like me).


I followed the directions precisely due to having read other people's bad experiences and some attributing it to not following the label. Half a teaspoon was warmed up with the natural heat of my hands and then applied directly to dry hair. The oil was combed through so that it was evenly distributed and left on for twenty minutes. I rinsed very well and then shampooed. And rinsed again. And shampooed again. And rinsed once more. No matter what I did, I couldn't seem to get this filmy residue off my hair. After drying, my naturally fine and light hair was left weighted down and a shade darker than normal. It took longer than usual to dry and some parts still had the viscosity and appearance of being damp even though dry. Essentially, it felt a little oily in some parts.

Beyond the disappointing result, the scent was something I just could not handle. There was an overwhelming ashtray aroma followed up by espresso, sandalwood, and an indiscernible nuttiness. As I showered, it felt like the water vapors were soaked with the scent of cigarettes. Not pleasant.

This isn't necessarily a bad product, I just don't think it is formulated for someone with finer and/or lighter hair. A girlfriend of mine absolutely adores this product (well, minus the smell). She is Filipina and has gorgeous thick black hair. I can see this being a better treatment for her. In addition, my boyfriend actually liked the aroma. It reminded him of incense more so than cigarettes. Essentially, not for me, but that doesn't mean it isn't for other people.

Disclosure: I received this as a sample with a Sephora order I paid for.

No comments:

Post a Comment